As an allergy aware school we seek to create an environment where children suffering with allergies can be safe while they are on site or on excursions.
Currently we have a number of students at risk of anaphylaxis and as part of our risk minimisation, we are asking parents to avoid sending the following food products to school
- Any type of nut or nut spread
- Muesli bars and biscuits containing actual nuts
- Sesame Seeds
These products are also not available from the school Canteen.
Our policy at Cedars identifies 4 steps in the prevention of anaphylaxis in children:
- Obtaining medical information about children at risk of anaphylaxis by the school.
- Staff training about how to recognise and respond to a mild, moderate or severe allergic reaction, including training in the use of adrenaline auto injector devices.
- Implementation of practical strategies to avoid exposure to medically confirmed allergens.
- Age-appropriate education of children with severe allergies and their peers.
Information will continue to come home, and children will be educated within their classrooms about how we can all play a part in keeping our school safe for everyone.
Thank you for your support in this.
Tenille Pratt, Student Health & First Aid Officer